• Home
  • News
  • Personal Finance
    • Savings
    • Banking
    • Mortgage
    • Retirement
    • Taxes
    • Wealth
  • Make Money
  • Budgeting
  • Burrow
  • Investing
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest finance news and updates directly to your inbox.

Top News

8 Expenses That Retirees Regret Not Cutting Sooner — and Why

August 29, 2025

A Labor Day Salute to You — the American Worker

August 29, 2025

30-Year-Old Billionaire Says She’s Frugal, Shops Uber Deals

August 28, 2025
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending
  • 8 Expenses That Retirees Regret Not Cutting Sooner — and Why
  • A Labor Day Salute to You — the American Worker
  • 30-Year-Old Billionaire Says She’s Frugal, Shops Uber Deals
  • Why Most Entrepreneurs Are Approaching YouTube the Wrong Way
  • I Stopped Doing These 3 Things Myself — and It Made My Business More Profitable
  • Nvidia CEO: Some Jobs Will Disappear As AI Advances
  • ‘Thursday Murder Club’ Stars, Director On How Whodunit Is Different From Other Mysteries
  • Here’s How Much the Social Security Cut Could Cost You in 2033
Friday, August 29
Facebook Twitter Instagram
FintechoPro
Subscribe For Alerts
  • Home
  • News
  • Personal Finance
    • Savings
    • Banking
    • Mortgage
    • Retirement
    • Taxes
    • Wealth
  • Make Money
  • Budgeting
  • Burrow
  • Investing
  • Credit Cards
  • Loans
FintechoPro
Home » Trump admin resuming interest charges for nearly 8M student loan borrowers after Biden’s limbo
Loans

Trump admin resuming interest charges for nearly 8M student loan borrowers after Biden’s limbo

News RoomBy News RoomJuly 9, 20250 Views0
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Email Tumblr Telegram

U.S. Secretary of Education Linda McMahon explained why the Trump administration will soon resume interest charges for nearly 8 million student loan borrowers, saying former President Joe Biden left borrowers in legal limbo when he couldn’t deliver on the controversial campaign promise. 

“For years, the Biden Administration used so-called ‘loan forgiveness’ promises to win votes, but federal courts repeatedly ruled that those actions were unlawful. Congress designed these programs to ensure that borrowers repay their loans, yet the Biden Administration tried to illegally force taxpayers to foot the bill instead,” McMahon said in a statement first obtained by Fox News Digital. 

“Since day one of the Trump Administration, we’ve focused on strengthening the student loan portfolio and simplifying repayment to better serve borrowers,” the secretary added. “As part of this effort, the Department urges all borrowers in the SAVE Plan to quickly transition to a legally compliant repayment plan – such as the Income-Based Repayment Plan. Borrowers in SAVE cannot access important loan benefits and cannot make progress toward loan discharge programs authorized by Congress.” 

TRUMP’S ‘BIG, BEAUTIFUL BILL’ CRACKS DOWN ON BIDEN’S STUDENT LOAN ‘SCHEME,’ TOP REPUBLICAN SAYS

The Department of Education announced Wednesday it “will take an additional step to bring fiscal responsibility to the federal student loan portfolio by restarting interest accrual for borrowers with loans in the illegal Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) Plan on August 1, 2025.” 

Before interest rates start accruing on Aug. 1, the department said borrowers are encouraged to compare repayment plans using its loan simulator to estimate monthly payments, check eligibility and select the most suitable plan. Individuals who previously applied for Income-Based Repayment (IBR), Pay As You Earn (PAYE) or Income-Contingent Repayment (ICR) are not required to reapply. 

The Department of Education said it will begin outreach on Thursday to nearly 7.7 million borrowers enrolled in the SAVE Plan, “with instructions on how to move to a legal repayment plan so borrowers can begin making qualifying payments.”   

As of late June, the department said it had received nearly $282 million in collections on defaulted federal student loans through voluntary payments and the offset program administered by the U.S. Department of Treasury. The department also said it has not thus far withheld monthly federal benefits, such as Social Security payments, since restarting collections. 

President Donald Trump’s “big, beautiful bill,” which he signed into law on the Fourth of July, creates a new repayment assistance plan, expected to launch by July 1, 2026. 

Department of Education exteriors

Because enrollment in PAYE and ICR Plans may be limited due to the law and ongoing legal challenges, the department encourages borrowers to consider switching to the Income-Based Repayment (IBR) Plan – authorized under the Higher Education Act – as a temporary and safer alternative.

STUDENT LOAN DELINQUENCIES TANK CREDIT SCORES FOR MILLIONS OF BORROWERS: HOW TO RECOVER

The decision comes after the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in February issued an injunction blocking the implementation of the SAVE Plan, including the Biden administration’s action to put SAVE borrowers in a zero percent interest rate status. The court ruled that the plan’s provisions, including reducing monthly payments to as low as zero for some borrowers and forgiving remaining balances after 10 years for smaller loans, exceeded what Congress authorized under the Higher Education Act.

The Department of Education on Wednesday said “millions of borrowers enrolled in the Biden Administration’s SAVE Plan based on the false promise of loan cancellation and zero monthly payments, despite multiple federal courts striking down such policies.”

Department of Education exteriors

“The Biden administration also invented a zero-percent ‘litigation forbearance,’ forcing taxpayers to foot the bill and leaving borrowers without clear direction on how to legally repay their loans,” according to the department. The Trump administration, meanwhile, vowed to “support borrowers in selecting a new, legal repayment plan that best fits their needs and helps them get on a sustainable financial path while protecting American taxpayers.” 

In June 2023, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Biden administration did not have the authority under the HEROES Act of 2003 to cancel up to $10,000 in federal student loans for individuals earning less than $125,000 annually or households earning less than $250,000, as well as an additional $10,000 for Pell Grant recipient. 

The court said such widespread debt cancellation required congressional approval. Despite that ruling in Biden v. Nebraska, the Biden administration announced the SAVE plan just weeks later “in a renewed effort to implement illegal student loan bailouts on the backs of hardworking American taxpayers,” the Department of Education said Wednesday. 

The Department of Education said it resumed collections on May 5 after a five-year hiatus and has emailed more than 23 million borrowers “reminding them of their legal obligation to repay their loans as well as the benefits of making regular progress toward repayment.”

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Articles

Think tank president urges Gen Z to consider trades over college in tough job market

Loans August 10, 2025

‘Buy now, pay later’ services are dangerous trap for young Americans, financial expert warns

Loans August 9, 2025

Student loan delinquency rates highest in 21 years as COVID moratorium fades away

Loans August 6, 2025

460K student loan borrowers denied SAVE plan, face higher repayments: report

Loans July 19, 2025

Student loan delinquencies tank credit scores for millions of borrowers: How to recover

Loans May 19, 2025

Student loan delinquencies surge, sending credit scores plunging for borrowers

Loans May 15, 2025
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Top News

A Labor Day Salute to You — the American Worker

August 29, 20250 Views

30-Year-Old Billionaire Says She’s Frugal, Shops Uber Deals

August 28, 20250 Views

Why Most Entrepreneurs Are Approaching YouTube the Wrong Way

August 28, 20250 Views

I Stopped Doing These 3 Things Myself — and It Made My Business More Profitable

August 28, 20250 Views
Don't Miss

Nvidia CEO: Some Jobs Will Disappear As AI Advances

By News RoomAugust 28, 2025

Nvidia, the world’s most valuable company with a market capitalization of $4.39 trillion at the…

‘Thursday Murder Club’ Stars, Director On How Whodunit Is Different From Other Mysteries

August 28, 2025

Here’s How Much the Social Security Cut Could Cost You in 2033

August 28, 2025

Here’s What Gen Z Says About College Degrees in the AI Age

August 28, 2025
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest Dribbble
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Press Release
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2025 FintechoPro. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.